Chapter No. 3
- New neighbours move into room next to Ram’s (R.) and Salim‘s (S.).
- The chawl’s administrator (Mr. Ramakrishna) tells R., being an responsible boy, to help the new neighbours (Mr. Shantaram, his wife and daughter) to settle down.
- Mr Shantaram (Mr. S.) tells R. that there is no need to help because he is a scientist and the family won’t stay in the chawl for a long time.
- R. knows that he lies: Those who can afford living elsewhere, stay in chawls. The same evening R. overhears a conversation of the family in which Mr. S. tells his daughter he doesn’t want any “street boys” to enter the house. R. & S. hardly see Mr. S. in the next weeks and never see the wife and daughter.
- One evening: R. & S. overhear commentary of Mr. S. on state of sky that he explains to his daughter Gudiya.
- Ram wishes that he also had a father teaching him.
- A week later Gudiya is allowed to keep a cat she found and calls it Pluto.
- As time goes by, R. notices that Mr. S. is a drunkard.
- Mr. S. swears and yells at his family when he comes home. The situation worsens until he starts throwing things at his wife and daughter. One evening he throws a hot cup of tea at his daughter who then has to be hospitalized.
- Ram often visits Gudiya who sees him as her brother. It is a new relationship for him.
- The evening Gudiya leaves the hospital, the drunken Mr. S. tries to touch his daughter but falls asleep. The same happens next evening.
- Ram promises Gudiya that her father won’t try this again.
- The next day, Ram charges Mr. S. from behind so he falls down to the ground and dies.
- Ram leaves Mumbai and moves to Delhi.
TIPP für Schüler: Zur Vorbereitung auf das Abitur oder für Klausuren kann ich diese Lektüre empfehlen; sie enthält professionelle Inhaltsangaben in Form einer Lehrerübersicht. Leicht verständliche Zusammenfassungen und Analysen enthält außerdem diese Lektüre. Vikas Swarups Buch Slumdog Millionaire ist ein Schwerpunktthema im Fach Englisch.